Saturday, April 14, 2012

The .22 And The End Of The World As We Know It

Hello Preppers! I haven't had time to post in a while so I am seizing this opportunity while the baby is with his grandmother.

     It seems that all survivalist, preppers, zombie, and general SHTF forums always have a guy asking about using the 10/22 as a primary firearm. My belief is that a .22 is a terrible choice to be our primary post-apocalyptic weapon. Any rim-fire would be a terrible idea. There just not reliable enough. Ag odd quality rifle chambered in .223/5.56 such as an AR-15, a Sig 556, AK-74, or a Steyr Aug what I like try to persuade people towards.  I use an AR-15. The AR-15 and .223/5.56 is a topic of past posts and I'm sure it will come up in future posts. Back to the .22. Many will argue that a .22 is the one and only option for a SHTF rifle. When asked why the answers are generally the same. The guys and gals will go on about how cheaply they can stockpile .22 ammo. The also like the fact that you can carry more rounds before your load gets heavy. They are correct on both points. For me, these advantages do not out weigh the risk of a definite ammo malfunction. If I'm bugging out and come across a pack of filthy looters I want to know that I can reach of and touch someone and not get the familiar "click" that screams "my primer didn't detonate." I certainly don't want that if I'm staring down a herd of zombies.
     All preppers should have a .22 rifle in their stash; it does not need to be a primary defensive weapon. 10/22's are great for general firearms training, small game hunting, and target practice. If you shoot a rabbit that was intended to be dinner with an AK-47 half of your dinner is going to mixed into the dirt right behind the exit wound that is about the size of the rabbit itself. A .22 could have left that meat intact. The next consideration is which .22 should one buy.
     I am a Ruger 10/22 man myself but my dad swears by the Marlin 10/22. The are both great little pieces but I like detachable mags on the Ruger over the tube mags on the Marlin. The Ruger a certainly yhe most su Savage makes a nice affordable .22 too. A few companies are making drop-in .22 conversions for the AR-15. I'm havent uses any of these conversions yet but I hear that they are reliable and fairly accurate. The .223 and 5.56 barrel is only .003" larger inside that the .22. Without shooting with one I cannot know for sure but I imagine that a converted AR shoots about as accurately as a  worn out .22 rifle. What that means is that it is good for general shooting purposes but it not a geed idea to go match shooting with.
      This is off topic (kinda) but I beleive that everyone should listen to Lee Greenwoods's 'God Bless the USA.' at least on a weekly basis. It makes me want to run out and make sure my flag isn't wrapped around the pole.
-MOAAN ABE