Thursday, April 26, 2012

REVIEW: KaBar ZK Kharon folding knife

     For about eight weeks now I have been carrying the folding pocket knife from KaBar's Zombie Killer line. I carry this knife everyday and would argue that I use a knife far more than you average Joe on a daily basis. What I am getting at is that my knives a put through a rough tests just from my day to day use.
     So far I find this little knife to be fairly nice. It certainly isn't as high quality as the KaBar combat knives but it is much better than it's $25-$30 price point suggests. The ZK Kharon just may be the most comfortable slim knife I have ever carried. The bright green color is nice if it gets misplaced too. The little bumps all over the handle are hardly noticed while holding the knife but they seem to help with gripping the handle. The clip can be attached to either side with a T7 torx driver. This was important to me because I carry my knives in my left pocket with the blade up. Knives are usually setup for right pocket carry. The blade tension is adjustable but when I get it set where I like it the blade has an ever so slight wobble. It is not too much of a concern right now; the wobble is very faint. Only time will tell how the hinge wears.
     The blade is just ok on the ZK Kharon. I love the Tanto style blade but these Taiwanese KaBars are not made with very good steel from what I have seen. I have to hone my edge about every two days. KaBar could have sold these for a few more bucks and slapped on a higher quality blade. These ZK knives are nothing more than a smart company capitalizing on the current zombie fad though. When the blade is shot and the knife is ready for the junk drawer I may try to recreate and replace its blade with some good high quality steel.
    Should you buy one of these knives? I say it depends on how much money you are looking to spend. If you can buy a SOG, an AMERICAN MADE KaBar, SureFire, Benchmade, or something along those lines then, by all means, skip over KaBar's Taiwan made folder. All in all I like the ZK Kharon, but it's quality level doesn't even come close to stacking us to my USMC edition fixed blade.


Be sure to follow us on Twitter (@ZSsurvival) by clicking HERE!