Thursday, April 7, 2011

WEAPONS: Shotguns

   Handguns are great tools for self defense but there best use is to help you get to you long gun. A rifle or shotgun is by far a better option based on terminal ballistics among other things. Shotguns are widely considered a sporting arm and are not as restricted as rifles and carbines. That stems from the false belief that shotguns have a very short effective range. That is totally false; while the load and choke, if choked, greatly affect the range of a shotgun all shotguns are effective at 50 yards or more. That includes bird shot in any thing other than a sawed off shotty. Another misconception is that shotguns don't have to be aimed. At 20 yards the pellets of buck shot have barely even started to spread. At 50 yards the spread is noticeable but should still be in the 8" center mass that a train my self to aim at. At 75 yards the spread is getting fairly large but the shot is still effective. Keep in mind that various chokes and shells make a difference.
   Hollywood has screwed up out views of shotguns. Movies will have you believing that the sound of a pump will scare the bad guy away. It might but I wouldn't count on it. In a defense situation a competent gun handler and shooter should already have one in the chamber. I like pumps but prefer the semi-auto(S-A) guns. The only "advantage" to the pump is reliability but a quality S-A is dishes out plenty of reliability. A defense shotty doesn't have to be a law enforcement type either. Your bird gun will work. The law enforcement type are shotguns a little more handy though. They usually have a faster sight system and some have a pistol grip as well as the stock. The usual 18" barrel makes them more maneuverable too. Don't discredit a stock. Pistol grips are great as long as the is a stock behind them. Without a stock you cannot possibly line up your sights rapidly during a multiple shot event.
   But aren't 12ga the only good defense shotgun? Nope, I actually prefer a 20ga. I am one of the less recoil equals faster accurate shots dude. That is why I carry a 9mm instead of a .45; I can get of 3 good shots out of my 9mm to every 2 good shots out of a .45, That is just me though. It is the same concept in shotgun calibers. If I remember correctly, you cannot get #3 buck shot in 12ga but you can in 20ga. A #3 20ga shell actually carries more shot inside that any 12ga shell outside of slugs. My personal favorite 12ga load is the Hornady TAP Light Magnum 00 Buck. Each pull of the trigger propels eight 00 pellets at 1600fps  A slug is great for the experience shotgunner. Just remember that is pretty close to being a a giant rifle round and must be aimed like one.
    As far as accessories goes, the only things I like to add to a shotgun is a light system, a sling, and a do like the extra control of having a pistol grip under my stock. Lasers are nice as long as 85% of your training is with the iron sights and the other 15% is with the laser. The irons are proven and their batteries don't die.
   Any gun you have is a viable defense weapon as long as you are familiar with it, it is maintained, and you have QUALITY ammo. The most important things, though, are to HAVE A GUN and to KNOW HOW to use it. If you need training just call you local police department and ask who they recommend for training.
   I am sure I left alot out but the is the beauty of blogging is that I can always post more information later. Let me know what you think on facebook. Also, let me know what you would like to read about. I don't allow commenting on the blog due to spammers but you can find Zombie Splatter on facebook right HERE